These are more resources that I am using for my paper that is due next week. This list is by no means comprehensive - at this point, it is just a starting point.
Documents/Reports about the Library Catalog/Cataloging
- The Changing Nature of the Catalog and its Integration with Other Discover Tools. Final Report. March 17, 2006. Karen Calhoun’s report for the Library of Congress in which she analysizes the current state of the library catalog, options to revitalize its use et al.
- The Changing Nature of the Catalog and its Integration with Other Discovery Tools. Final Report. March 17, 2006. Prepared for the Library of Congress by Karen Calhoun. A Critical Review by Thomas Mann. PDF document in which Thomas Mann offers a critical review of Karen Calhoun’s report to the Library of Congress.
- A “Next generation” library catalog – Eric Lease Morgan’s essay in which he outlines a his ideas for the next generation catalog.
- Rethinking How We Provide Bibliographic Services for the University of California – PDF document from December 2005.
- A White Paper on the Future of Cataloging at Indiana University – PDF document prepared by the Task Group of the Future of Cataloging to identify trends in technology that will have an impact on cataloging (January 15, 2006).
- FRBR - A post by Jenn Riley on the TechEssence.Info blog.
- The FRBR Blog – A weblog that follows developments around the world in FRBR.
- Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records - (PDF) Final report of the IFLA Study Group on Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records issued in September 1997.
- OCLC Research Activities and IFLA’s Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records - OCLC’s home page for FRBR information.
- What is FRBR? – The Cataloging Distribution Services’ (Library of Congress)take on FRBR.
Examples of Enhanced Library Catalogs
- Ann Arbor District Library’s Catalog -
- Carroll County Public Library – Using Aquabrowser
- Hennepin County Library – Users can comment on items.
- King County Library System – Using Aquabrowser
- Lamson Library – Plymouth State University – Casey Bisson’s WordPress OPAC
- North Carolina State University Libraries Online Catalog – The catalog is powered by Endeca’s ProFind with Guided Navigation.
- Penn Library Catalog – The University of Pennsylvania catalog allows users to tag catalog entries.
- Santa Monica Public Library – This catalog includes expanded content such as continue your search in Google, related categories, find more by this author, etc.
- University of Huddersfield Library – Addition of “did you mean?” suggestions for failed searches.
Enhanced Services for the Library Catalog
- Drupal - A content management system used by Ann Arbor District Library.
- FictionConnection – Bowker’s Aquabrowser interface – username and password required
- FictionFinder – OCLC’s FRBR-based prototype for fiction in WorldCat.
- OpenWorldCat – OCLC’s program to make locally available material accessible from popular internet sites.