Information from my preliminary examination of North Carolina State University’s Library Catalog (web catalog is powered by Endeca’s ProFind Content Management System):
- Initial Search page: Keyword search options to “search for words” or “search begins with . . .” The “search for words” search can be limited via a drop-down box to Anywhere, in Title, in Author, in Subject Headings, or ISBN/ISSN. The “search begins with . . .” search can be limited to Title begins with, Journal Title begins with, Author (last name first), Subject begins with, Series begins with, Call number, or Gov Doc number.
- On the home page, there is a Hint box with links to Search other Catalogs and Search Help.
- There is a link to Search the Collection link which takes the user to a different search page where one can search the catalog, find articles, find Journal titles, find Reserves, find Databases, Browse Subjects, links to Special Collections, links to other collections, and links to Reference tools. While most of these services are outside of the library catalog, they all appear to the user as one system.
- The catalog has tabbed options for searching: Search, Advanced Search and Browse.
- The Advanced Search page has several more search options. Users can search by “Words Anywhere,” “Words in Title,” “Words in Author,” “Words in Subject Headings,” and ISBN/ISSN. There are optional search limits available: Library (Online Resources, D.H. Hill LIbrary, Design Library, Natural Resources LIbrary, Textiles Library, Veterinary Medical LIbrary, Satellite Shelving Facility, Special Collections (D.H. Hill), Learning Resources Library, and African American Cultural Center Reading Room), Language, Format (audio recordings, books, CD-ROMs, e-books, electronic resources, filmstrips, journals and serials, electronic journals, kits, manuscripts, maps, microforms, newspapers, scopes, software, theses & dissertations (NCSU), videos and DVDs, and slides), date range of publication and include document type (gov docs, reference materials, all others). The document types are all checked, so I assume that by unchecking they would be removed from the results pool?? Are there only three types of documents? I find this a bit confusing. There is also the ability to do Boolean searching on this page. Hints are available telling patrons to use quotes for exact phrases and that boolean operators are ignored in keyword searches.
- Browse tab: Patron can browse titles by subject – broken down by call number area. There is also the ability to browse all new titles received within the last week.
- There is a “get answers now” link which takes one to a page about getting help from reference librarians on every page.
- In the top navigation image, there is a link to log into one’s library account. This image appears on every page.
- Note, I found it very difficult to figure out how to return to the library catalog’s home page. There is no obvious way. The “Search the Collection” link is on every page – however, this does not return on the catalog home page. I eventually discovered the link the catalog home page in a drop down menu with the “Most Used” resouces.